Bored with an omelette? Time for Italian keto frittata! This tender and fluffy dish will turn your breakfasts around.
Frittata is the Italian version of a stuffed omelette. Usually, it is cooked on a frying pan over low heat until the edges seized, and then sent to the oven. But not everyone has ovenproof pans, so you’ll get three ways to make your keto frittata perfect.
Before you start, remember two main rules. First: beat eggs with all your keto strength and a little more than for an omelette. Second: use a small, but deep-frying pan. The resulting frittata should be thick and fluffy.
The secret of the perfect frittata
Calculate the number of eggs correctly. One egg for every inch of pan diameter.
Prepare the vegetables in advance.
Watch the cooking time, if you overcook the frittata in the oven, it can get dense.
Use cheese. Melted varieties can be interspersed in the egg mixture, the rest crumble on top.
To make it more than scrambled eggs, always use fatty dairy.
And remember. Anything can be stuffed into a frittata! This dish is the perfect reason to dispose of last night’s dinner leftovers.
- 3 eggs
- 100 g ricotta
- 100 g spinach
- 10 g basil
- 10 g cilantro
- 0.5 teaspoon paprika
- salt, pepper, spices (to taste)
- 10 ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180oC /355oF. Skip if you don't have an ovenproof pan or a silicone mold.
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and fry spinach and paprika for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Put the fried greens in a colander and then to a bowl. Add ricotta.
- Beat the eggs until smooth with a fork or a whisk. Add salt and pepper, mix in ricotta with herbs.
- Cooking method 1: frying pan+oven. Pour the mixture of eggs, herbs and ricotta into a small heat-resistant pan. Fry under the lid over moderate heat for about 8 minutes until the edges are seized. Then bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.Cooking method 2: silicone mold+oven. Pour the mixture into a silicone mold and bake for about 20 minutes in the oven.Cooking method 3: frying+lid. Pour the mixture into a small pan. Fry until the edges are seized. Then cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Take your frittata out, cool slightly and serve.